- Jun 2018, Professor, OSUE Agriculture & Natural Resources, College of Food, Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, The Ohio State University
- Jan 2012, Associate Professor, OSUE Agriculture & Natural Resources, College of Food, Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, The Ohio State University
- Oct 2006 - Dec 2011, Associate Professor, OSUE County Operations, The Ohio State University
- Jun 1987-Sep 2006, Instructor, OSUE County Operations, The Ohio State University
EXTENSION AND RESEARCH EMPHASIS
Nutrient and water quality impacts from row crop production systems. Focus is specifically on nitrogen and phosphorus management effects on crop yield and water quality at edge of field.
Conduct applied research applicable to corn, soybean, wheat and forage producers. Work directly with agricultural producers, associated support industries and OSUE staff on agronomic management and cropping systems. Develop outreach materials for these audiences.
OUTREACH PUBLICATIONS (Last 4 Years)
- Culman, S.; Custer, S.; King, K.; LaBarge, G. et al. (2019). Phosphorus Nutrient Management for Yield and Reduced P Loss at Edge of Field. [Fact Sheet] Ohioline, Columbus, OH, United States. Retrieved from https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/agf-509
- Culman, S.; Zone, P.; Kim, N.; Fulford, A. et al. (2019). Nutrients Removed with Harvest Corn, Soybean, and Wheat Grain in Ohio (Report No. ANR-74). [Fact Sheet] The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, United States. Retrieved from https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/anr-74
- Ackley, B.A.; Beegle, D.B.; Collins, A.A.; Culman, S.W. et al. (2019). Corn, Soybean, Wheat, and Forages Field Guide. [Bulletin]
- Sundermeier, A.P.; LaBarge, G.; Arnold, G.; Watters, H. et al. (2018). A Field Guide to Identifying Critical Resource Concerns and Best management Practices for Implementation (Report No. 969). [Bulletin] Ohio State University Extension, Columbus, Oh, United States.
- LaBarge, GA, Ward, A & Martin, J (2017). Agricultural Best Management Practices . Retrieved from https://agbmps.osu.edu/
- Douridias, A, Watters, H & LaBarge, GA (2016). Agronomic Crops Team/CORN Newsletter Website . Retrieved from https://agcrops.osu.edu/
RECENT REFEREED PUBLICATIONS (Last 4 years)
- Hanrahan, B.R.; King, K.W.; Williams, M.R.; Duncan, E.W.; Pease, L.A.; LaBarge, G.A. (2019). Nutrient balances influence hydrologic losses of nitrogen and phosphorus across agricultural fields in northwestern Ohio. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, doi:10.1007/s10705-019-09981-4
- Wilson, R.S.; Beetstra, M.A.; Reutter, J.M.; Hesse, G.; Fussell, K.M.D.V.; Johnson, L.T. et al. (2018). Commentary: Achieving phosphorus reduction targets for Lake Erie. Journal of Great Lakes Research, doi:10.1016/j.jglr.2018.11.004
- Ward, A.; Sharpley, A.; Miller, K.M.; Dick, W.; Hoorman, J.; Fulton, J.P.; LaBarge, G. (2018). An assessment of in-field nutrient best management practices for agricultural crop systems with subsurface drainage. Journal of Soils and Water Conservation, 73 (1), 5A-10A. doi:10.2489/jswc.73.1.5A
- Pease, L.; King, K.; Williams, M.; Labarge, G.; Duncan, E.; Fausey, N. (2017). Phosphorus export from artificially drained fields across the Eastern Corn Belt. JOURNAL OF GREAT LAKES RESEARCH, doi:10.1016/j.jglr.2017.11.009
- Duncan, EW, King, KW, Williams, MR, LaBarge, GA, Pease, LA, Smith, DR, & Fausey, NR. (2017). Linking Soil Phosphorus to Dissolved Phosphorus Losses in the Midwest. Agriculture & Environmental Letters, 2017 (2), 5. doi:10.2134/ael2017.02.0004
- King, KW, Williams, MR, Johnson, LT, Smith, DR, LaBarge, GA and Fausey, NR. (2017). Phosphorus Availability in Western Lake Erie Basin Drainage Waters: Legacy Evidence across Spatial Scales. J Environ Qual, 46 (2), 466-469. doi:10.2134/jeq2016.11.0434
- King, KW, Williams, MR, Dick, WA & LaBarge GA. (2016). Decreasing Phosphorus Loss in Tile-Drained Landscapes Using Flue Gas Desulfurization Gypsum. J Environ Qual, 45, 1722-1730. Retrieved from: https://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publications/jeq/pdfs/45/5/1722
- Williams, MA, King, KW, LaBarge, GA, Confessor Jr, RB & Fausey, NR. (2016). Edge-Of-Field Evaluation of the Ohio Phosphorus Risk Index. J Environ Qual, 0, 0. doi:10.2134/jeq2016.05.0198
- Fulford, A.M.; Culman, S.W.; Mullen, R.W.; Dygert, C.E.; Labarge, G.A.; Lentz, E.M.; Watters, H.D. (2016). Corn and Soybean Response to Phosphorus and Potassium Fertilization in Ohio. Better Crops With Plant Food, 100, 7-9.